NEWS & NOTES
The New York City Coalition Against Hunger has a useful Greenmarket google map: the push pins are color coded based on which markets have farmers who accept food stamps/EBT. You can also narrow your search by the day of the week the market takes place and the borough it's in.
Gothamist again reports on blueberries, this time anticipating the imminent end of their season with tips on how to freeze and store.
Tiny Banquet Committee has some beautiful Greenmarket photos.
The New York Post ran an article yesterday on Tim Stark of Eckerton Farms. The piece includes descriptions of several of the tomato varieties he sells at the Union Square Greenmarket as well as tomato insight from Vinegar Factory's Eli Zabar ("never ever" refrigerate them, he says).
Dan Barber of Blue Hill at the Union Square Greenmarket buying shell beans at Berried Treasures, eggplant at Sycamore Farms, and watermelon from Caradonna...Peter Hoffman, chef at Savoy, being filmed strapping produce on his bike cart...Colin Alevras of The Tasting Room, buying out most of Honey Hallow Farm's chanterelles and eggs (except for a small portion of the mushrooms being saved for Tocqueville), all on August 16th at the Union Square Greenmarket.
WHAT'S IN, WHAT'S OUT
Tomatillos ($2/lb.) from Migliorelli Farm and Oak Grove Plantation...celeriac (celery root, $2/lb.) from Paffenroth Farm...shell beans ($3/lb.) from Berried Treasures...super thin haricots vert ($6/lb.) from Berried Treasures...early blue plums from Locust Grove...yellow watermelon ($1/lb.) from Oak Grove Plantation.
Apples are showing up all over the market: ginger gold apples ($1.20-$1.50/lb.) from Migliorelli Farm and Locust Grove...tydeman apples (tart, $1.25/lb.) from Terhune Orchards and Locust Grove...red free apples (sweet, hard, $1.25/lb.) from Terhune Orchards...paula red apples (tart, hard, $1.25/lb.) from Terhune Orchards...summer pippin (sour, hard, $1.25/lb.)...early macintoshes (semi-sweet, $1.25 lb.) from Locust Grove...early golden ($1.50/lb.) from Breezy Hill Orchard.
The first pears of the season are in too, at Locust Grove and Caradonna ($1-$1.25/lb.).
Berried Treasures has Kiwano, or "horned melon," which is in the cucumber family ($5/lb.). To eat, they recommend slicing the fruit in the center and scooping out the jelly inside.
Honey Hollow Farm's chanterelle production is waning, but porcinis will be in soon.
DAY IN THE LIFE: Michael Hoffman (Honey Hollow Farm)
10 p.m. (Tuesday night): Michael falls asleep in front of the T.V. watching an episode of Six Feet Under. He says he's lucky if he gets ten hours of sleep in a week.
2 a.m. (Wednesday morning): He gets out of bed and eats a breakfast of one hard boiled egg, mashed with mayonnaise and minced onion. He drinks a couple cups of coffee and hops in his van. The real challenge at that hour, he says, is avoiding deer on the drive down the hill.
6 a.m.: Michael arrives at the Union Square Greenmarket and sets up his stand.
7 p.m.: On a long day, he won't leave the market until 7 p.m. Many days, though, Honey Hollow Farm sells out and he can head back as early as 3 p.m.
10 p.m.: Michael arrives back in upstate New York, just outside Albany.
FOCUS ON: Chocolate Chip Cookies
What better way to ease into the work week than a nice, big chocolate chip cookie. Check out the information below for help in choosing the right one for you at the Monday Union Square Greenmarket.
BODY & SOUL Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookie (pictured upper left, $2.25)
Notable ingredients: whole wheat flour, white flour with wheat germ, brown rice syrup, hazelnuts, dairy free malt sweetened chocolate chips, maple syrup, canola oil (all organic) Notable qualities: cookie itself is hard, dense, earthy; not too sweet; nutty; low chocolate content but a strong cocoa taste Other baked goods at Body &Soul: an array of organic and vegan pastries, muffins, and cookies
CREEKSIDE BARN Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie (pictured upper right, $1.50)
Notable ingredients: carob chips Notable qualities: cookie is cakey, but not too sweet; very soft, flexible; simple; not too buttery Other baked goods at Creekside Barn: giant oatmeal raisin cookies, brownie cups, muffins, and many other traditional baked goods
CONUCO FARM Chocolate Chip Cookies (pictured lower right, 3 cookies for $1.50)
Notable ingredients: margarine instead of butter Notable qualities: cookie is both sweet and salty; buttery taste; very crunchy Other baked goods at Conuco Farm: peanut butter cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, vegan granola cookies, zucchini quiches, different breads
BREAD ALONE Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie (picture lower left, $1.50)
Notable ingredients: oatmeal, cinnamon Notable qualities: cookie is compact and thick, but crumbly; not very buttery; chocolate content is high; chocolate chips are good quality, very soft and sweet Other baked goods at Bread Alone: many different kinds of bread, chocolate chip walnut cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, peanut butter cookies, scones, muffins, pastries
- Berried Treasures, Cooks Falls, NY. At the Union Square Greenmarket Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Bread Alone, Boiceville, NY. At the Union Square Greenmarket Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays (800.769.3328)
- Body & Soul. At the Union Square Greenmarket Mondays and Fridays.
- Breezy Hill Orchard, Staatsburg, NY. At the Union Square Greenmarket Wednesdays and Saturdays and the Orchard Street Market on Sundays (845.266.3979).
- Caradonna, at the Union Square Greenmarket Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- Creekside Barn, Orange County, NY. At the Union Square Greenmarket Mondays (845.986.3996).
- Conuco Farm, Nazareth, PA. At the Union Square Greenmarket Mondays, at the Orchard Street Market Saturdays, and at the Tompkins Square Park Market Sundays (917.306.8746).
- Eckerton Hill, Lenhartsville, PA. At the Union Square Greenmarket Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- Honey Hallow Farm, Schoharie River Valley area. At Union Square Greenmarket Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Locust Grove, Milton, NY. At the Union Square Greenmarket Wednesdays and Saturdays (845.795.5194).
- Migliorelli Farm, Tivoli, NY. At the Union Square Greenmarket Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.
- Oak Grove Plantation, at the Union Square Greenmarket Fridays and Saturdays.
- Paffenroth Gardens, Warwick, NY. At Union Square Greenmarket Wednesdays and Saturdays (845.258.4746).
- Sycamore Farms, Middletown, NY. At the Union Square Greenmarket Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.
- Terhune Orchards, Salt Point, NY. At the Union Square Greenmarket Wednesdays and Saturdays (845.266.5382).