1. Winter Restaurant Week, participating New York City restaurants are serving three-course prix-fixe lunches for $24.07 and/or three-course dinners for $35.00 (beverage, tax, and gratuity not included) from Monday, January 23, to Friday, January 27, and Monday, January 30, to Friday, February 3. Online reservations are available at OpenTable.com.
2. Flavor Combinations With Champagne, Cognac and Cheese, the Artisanal Premium Cheese Center will present a discussion and tasting of cheeses paired with cognac and champagne, Wednesday, January 25, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m, at the Artisanal Premium Cheese Center, 500 West 37th Street, 2nd Floor. $75/person (877.797.1200).
3. Cooking with Conifers: Piñon, Juniper & Cedar, chef Pam Carey will give a lesson on cooking with berries and nuts produced by conifer trees, Sunday, January 29, 2:00 p.m., at Wave Hill, West 249th Street and Independence Avenue. Free with admission to Wave Hill (718.549.3200).
4. La Galette des Rois, learn about the social, religious, and cultural history of La Galette des Rois (the Kings’ cake) and taste galettes from François Payard of Patisserie Payard, and Richard Dumas of Dumas Pâtisserie & Associates, Monday, January 30, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the French Institute Alliance Francaise (FIAF), Tinker Auditorium, 55 East 59th Street. FIAF members/$30, non-members/$45. Seating is limited, and tickets must be purchased by Thursday, January 26 (646.388.6669).
5. "Notes" from the Underground: Wines the Vintners and Wine Merchants Drink (and usually reserve for themselves), wine merchants reveal their wine imbibing secrets (hors d'oeuvres included), Tuesday, January 31, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., at the Merchant's House Museum, 29 East Fourth Street. $35/person, reservations required (212.777.1089).
6. Gastronomy and Gluttony in Early Modern China, The Culinary Historians of New York will present a lecture by Joanna Waley-Cohen, Professor of History, New York University, on cuisine and consumerism in Chinese history, Tuesday, January 31, 7:00 p.m., at Park Avenue United Methodist Church, 106 E. 86th Street, 3rd Floor. $35/person (212.334.4175).
7. Chef Tasting Series: Marc Meyer, Cookshop's Marc Meyer will prepare selections from the restaurant’s snack menu paired with wine, Tuesday, January 31, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., at Appellation Wine & Spirits, 156 Tenth Avenue. Free (212.741.9474).