1. Chutneys, Fruit Pastes and Mostardas, a discussion and tasting of fruit-based cheese accompaniments will be held on Wednesday, March 30, 6:30-8:30 p.m., at Murray's Cheese Shop, 254 Bleecker Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues. $45/person (212.243.3289, ext. 25).
2. Apicius: A New Take on An Old Book, Roman food expert Sally Grainger and Dr. Chris Grocock, Latin scholar, will discuss a new translation of Apicius’ first century De Re Coquinaria, considered to be the oldest known cookbook, presented by the Culinary Historians of New York, Thursday, March 31, 5:45 p.m reception/7:00 p.m. lecture, at the New York Academy of Medicine, 1216 Fifth Avenue. $30/person (212.334.1061).
3. Everything Vanilla, a cooking demonstration/class on cooking with vanilla, from making panna cotta to sour cream pound cake and other recipes, will be held on Thursday, March 31, 7:30 p.m., at The Art of Cooking, 555 Hudson Street. $55/person (646.831.3729).
4. Springtime for Burgers, after a winter hiatus, Danny Meyer's Shake Shack will reopen for business on Monday, April 4, at 11:00 a.m. Shake Shack is located at Madison Square Park, South East Corner (212.889.6600).
5. Take a Bite Out of the Big Apple, benefit event featuring dishes from Hearth, 360, Savoy, Il Buco, and Mas, to support the Farm to Chef Express program, which supplies products from New York farms to New York City restaurants, Tuesday, April 5, 6:30-8:30 p.m., at the Cornell Club, 6 East 44th Street. $100/person (212.692.1381).
6. Candy Bars and the Birth of the American Spirit, Steve Almond, author of Candyfreak, will discuss his book, candy, and American culture, presented by the Culinary Historians of New York, Tuesday, April 5, 6:30 p.m. reception, 7:00 p.m. presentation, at Dylan’s Candy Bar, 1011 Third Avenue. $30/person (212.334.1061).
1. Have You Eaten Yet? The Chinese Restaurant in America, an exhibit exploring the Chinese restaurant’s origin and growth in America and its cultural significance, at the Museum of Chinese in the Americas (70 Mulberry Street, 2nd Floor). The exhibit continues through June 2005. Suggested admission is $3 (212.619.4785).
2. Cookin': A Sizzling Entertainment, "a fast-paced kitchen percussion show combining comedy, rhythm, and non-verbal performance," at the Minetta Lane Theatre, 18 Minetta Lane (212.420.8000).